Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A quiet place

I have mentioned before the need for quiet to write. One of my friends challeneged that saying she had known me to write in a busy Burger King. Well, it is a different kind of quiet.

I need to not be interrupted by people needing answers to even simple questions. That is what I consider quiet. Unlike a lot of writers, I do not listen to much music while I write. There is a major exception. If my characters like music, I find out what they like and weave it through the story. I find that listening to it later brings back specific scenes just like I was there witnessing the action.

Today I found that helpful as I was going back to a story I had to put away for nearly two months. I had almost forgotten what music the two main characters listened to. Then I was sorting through CD's to put them away and put one on to listen to and suddenly felt like I was back in the room where I had left off the action.

I am thinking about putting a little note in the front of my books giving a suggested listening list so the reader can have a multilayered sensory experience.

What do you think?

krh

No comments: